About 5-ish years ago, I decided I wanted to make my future mother-in-law a quilt. I didn’t know anything about quilting. But, I knew I liked quilts, other people liked quilts, and I knew how to work a sewing machine…..so how hard could it be, right? I saw a picture of a quilt I liked online, and figured I could come up with how to make it. So I drew out what it looked like, figured up some dimensions and went down to my local craft store to get some fabric. I enlisted my mom to help me, who also at the time didn’t know anything about quilting. The particular pattern I picked had lots of triangles, and I distinctly remember sewing them up and them not being the right size, but we thought, hey…enough steam and stretching and we can make them the right size. I know, are you just cringing in your seats? Anyway, I made the top, but didn’t ever do anything with it after that. I decided not to give it to her for some reason, although I don’t remember why. I’m glad I decided not to, looking back at it. I might have never gotten married, HA! My MIL, who I didn’t know at the time had also made some quilts, would have taken one look at it and told her son not to marry that girl :) I did end up making her a proper quilt a couple years ago though, so all is well.
Anyway, I tucked the top away, but never intended to do anything with it. I was cleaning out some things the other day and ran across it. I hadn’t seen it since I made it, and it was funny to look back at it. Not many of the seams match, and most of the points were cut off, but I love the pattern, and I love my fabric choices. I think it’s actually a really pretty quilt. I figured I needed to bite the bullet and either chunk it or finish it.
As I continued to clean out my fabric bin, I came across a piece of fabric that worked perfect for the back, and was exactly the right amount, and the same for binding. I figured it was a sign, and the next day I had it quilted and bound. I’m really pleased with the way it came out, and I’m really glad I decided to finish it. It’s pretty small, I’d say about lap quilt size, and will be perfect for Avery to drag around some day. Since I wasn’t too invested in the finished project, I decided to try machine binding for the first time. 2 sides came out pretty good, and 2 pretty not good. But the binding step is my least favorite, so I’m glad I did it. It will take a little finesse and practice, but I’ll definitely do it again.
So, first finish of the month for OPAM, and first quilt done out of the 12 I want to finish this year out of my WIP’s.